As the seasons change, Wasps behave differently. From feeding off on sugars they are suckers for proteins in late summers. At such a time these insects love creating their nests in and around homes as food is readily available. These flying nightmares are aggressive and don’t hesitate to sting. Some of them are even known to sting multiple times. As they rummage for food, these waps can be easily discovered in your home or garden. A matured wasp nest can contain as many as a thousand wasps and are incredibly dangerous to pets and humans.
Follow these instructions carefully to safeguard yourself:
- Identifying the nest: It is vital to be very sure while identifying the nest because this gives you an advantage by letting you know what you’re dealing with and how to deal with it safely. Wasps are often confused with other flying insects like bees and hornets. Here are a few points to remember when you spot a nest.
- Hornets: The nest of a hornet is round in shape and surrounded by smooth textured walls. The nest will more or less resemble a football.
- Bees: Probably easiest to distinguish because their waxy appearance isn’t difficult to notice.
- Paper Wasps: These wasps shape their nest like an umbrella. Their nests typically open with hexagonal-shaped cells.
- Yellow Jacket Wasps: These wasps can be identified by the way they move around. A yellow jacket wasp will typically move in a back and forth to a concealed location. Their nests are often scary and dangerous because they can contain as many as a thousand wasps.
- What should you do if you’re being attacked by wasps?
- If a wasp approaches you it’s best to stay still. Doing this will allow them to register that you’re not a threat to them.
- If you choose to run away, ensure that you run in a straight line. At any point in time don’t swing or strike them with your arms. Doing this could increase their aggression.
- Try to protect your head and your face. Not only are they sensitive and vital to your body but to the wasps, they make an easy target.
- As mentioned avoiding making any sudden movements like waving or swinging your arms in the air. Doing movement can trigger a threat response and they will mercilessly sting you.
- By any chance do not be under the impression that playing would save you. They might simply continue stinging you multiple times.
How to avoid encountering a wasp?
- Keep your property clean and tidy, consider getting pest control done by a certified professional regularly.
- While carrying out any gardening activity, check for wasps as well. Protect your feet appropriately by wearing closed shoes.
- Since wasps are attracted to sugars, your sugar drinks are their delight. Always remember to check your drinks before consuming them if left unattended.
- Always cover your trash bags and garbage in and around the house as they can attract wasps.
- Wasps are territorial and wandering without safety gears around their nest could create havoc.
Never remove the nest yourself. This deed should be left to professionals only who have the right equipment and experience in dealing with wasps. While attempting to remove it, your lack of experience can aggravate them and cause them to attack you.