With warm weather pests like mosquitoes and bees less active in the relatively colder winter season across the country, many homeowners may feel their pest-proofing duties are done until springtime, but that is not the case. B&B Pest Control is working to help educate the public on the importance of pest proofing throughout the seasons, even in winter.
Although some pests like mosquitoes seem to be out of sight in most areas of the country now that the weather is too cool, there are still many pests looking to get into your this time of year, such as rodents. House mice can carry harmful diseases like Hantavirus and rats can cause property damage by gnawing their way indoors, ruining wiring and insulation.
Winter is also a prime time for moisture problems to become established. Ice dams, clogged gutters and wear and tear on the home from wet, blustery conditions can create vulnerabilities in the home that can draw pests in.
To help homeowners protect against a winter pest invasion, B&B Pest Control recommends the following prevention tips:
- Look for missing roof shingles, ripped window screens and clogged gutters, all of which are entry points for pests.
- Seal cracks and holes including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundations and windows.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Vacuum around doors and windows. Frequent vacuuming can catch invaders like spiders, silverfish, earwigs and beetles.
- Inspect garages and outbuildings for rodents or signs of a rodent infestation. Organize cluttered debris, boxes and random items along the walls where mice may hide or nest.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and brush it off before bringing it indoors.