Ticks can be some of the worst pests a person has to deal with not only for how gross they are, but the diseases they carry with them. That is why here at B&B Pest Control we have complied a list of tips that a person can do to help them have a better understanding of ticks, and what to do if they encounter them.
- If you are in a very dense tick populated area you might want to consider treating your clothing with Permtherin. Permetherin is a pesticide that cannot be applied to the skin, but works great on clothing and can kill ticks on contact.
- While your outdoors or in any densely-populated tick area make sure to tuck the bottom of your pants legs into your socks. Ticks often attach themselves to this part of the pants, and from there infect you.
- When you are doing a outdoors hike make sure to hike in the center of the trail, and not on the edges or side of the trail. Ticks will wait on plants or other areas on the edge of trails hoping to hitch a ride to a host that they can feed on. That is why staying on the center of the trail will make sure you are exposed to the least amount of ticks possible.
- When coming from an outdoors hike or any area with a lot of ticks throw your clothing directly into the drier. The drier will kill any pest with a 10-minute cycle on high heat, and this is a good way to make sure ticks don’t get into your home.
- Always check for ticks even when you don’t think you have them. Tick nymphs or young ticks are very hard to see on the skin so you should examine yourself carefully. Taking regular showers can help wash ticks off also so make sure you shower regularly.
- If you do find a tick make sure you remove it quickly and smart. Use a pair of fine tipped tweezers and grab the tick as close to where they have attached to the skin you can. Then make sure to pull straight back avoiding squeezing the ticks body, as this will break apart the tick leaving some behind after removal.
- After the tick has been removed make sure that you wash the area where you were bitten. The washing will not stop you from contracting a disease from the tick, but will help you not get an infection from the bite.
- Monitor yourself for symptoms of tick related diseases, and contact a doctor immediately if you are worried or feel sick.
If you or someone you know is dealing with ticks or any other pests in the great Boston area contact B&B Pest Control today! See why for over 30 years so many in the greater Boston area have chosen B&B when they have a pest problem for their home or business. Contact us today and find out the B&B difference for yourself!
Stay up to date with the latest information and deals!